Under stress? Always. First and foremost, don’t panic! Some people can work under stress because they do not panic. Keep calm and assess the situation. What is the sources of the stress? Is it your boss? Your officemate? The office/school itself? Chill. Hopefully, none of them bite. Here are some ways to control the stress in your life:
1. Stop what you’re doing and release the tension. Count one to ten. Breathe in and out deeply. Oxygen deprivation contributes to tension. The choky feeling of stress come from this. Pump air in your lungs.
2. Don’t take that Starbucks! To relieve yourself from stress and get you a pump of adrenaline, it is not advisable to take caffeine or alcohol. That grande Latte will give you a temporary energy boost but will only add to your anxiety and when the boost is over, you are ten time stressed.
3. Smell the flowers. Took a breather? Try aromatherapy. If you can bring a small vial of smells with you, that would go a long way. Smell some lavender to relax. Patcholi or citrus for a good energy boost. Mint or ginger for head ache. Got none? Smell the office flowers. Make sure they are fresh!
4. Attention! Stand or sit up straight. Who would have thought that posture has anything to do with stress?
5. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Are your clothes well pressed and fresh? Is your space clean? A spic and span living space is a livable space. Dirt and germs help grow stress.
6. Call ya girlfriend! Who needs therapist? Talk to your gal pal about the show on TV, about your crush, about your favorite food. Talk about something light and fun. Give your mind a break and unwind your heart with some heart to heart with BFF. If it won’t stress you out, you can call your mom too.
7. Quit keeping up with the Joneses! Doesn’t it tick you that your neighbor has a new car? That your seatmate got a 4.0 and you didn’t? That your officemate and best friend got the promotion you want? Stay in the present and quit wishing the shoulda, woulda, coulda. Be happy for them and praise them. Who knows, baka may balato ka pa!
8. 8 glasses a day, lack of water withers us. Especially since we are composed mainly of water. Do your health a favor and carry a water bottle with you. You need it.
9. An apple a day… Eat right! Make sure you have a balance diet of go, grow and glow foods. Jollibee and McDo are ok once in a while but not all the time. Additives and MSG is not good for the body. Lesser things to worry in the future if you don’t have gal stones or cancer. Oh, make sure to eat on time too. That way, you prevent ulcer. Don’t have enough time? Bring a cracker with you.
10. Dark is good. Dark chocolate contains antioxidants that help lower your blood pressure so pop a piece before a board meeting. Just make sure your brush your teeth after.